Applying for Support
The Foundation awards grants that align with its mission and strategy. It considers community need and the likelihood of success when making funding decisions. The suitability of all funding requests is reviewed by our Research Advisory Committee (RAC).
Conditions of funding:
- Funding is provided for specific research projects rather than salaries. Project costs may include a component for support staff, but the Foundation will not support salary costs for the Chief Investigator or scholarships.
- The Foundation supports biomedical, lab-based research projects that will lead to innovations such as drugs, devices, tools, therapeutics, vaccines, diagnostics etc.
- Funding requests under portfolios 2 and 3 should predominantly be to support expenses relating to the external collaborator.
- The Foundation does not pay for overseas travel.
- Only one application will be considered from each principal researcher.
- The Foundation does not offer top-up grants to NHMRC or ARC projects.
- Grants are provided to Australian research institutions.
- The Foundation does not provide funding for companies or support projects once the IP is encumbered.
NFMRI recognises the valuable time researchers and reviewers spend preparing and assessing applications for support. To assist in managing this valuable resource, NFMRI asks all applicants to firstly complete and submit an expression of interest form (EOI). Shortlisted expressions of interest will be invited to submit a more detailed application relevant to the portfolio selected in their EOI. Prior to completing the EOI, all applicants should read and understand the information relating to the support provided by the Foundation. Particularly, applicants should review their application’s strategic fit with the mission of the Foundation, the three research portfolios and consider how their research advances innovation, noting any nominated areas of priority.
If organisations would like to request our participation in a seminar to explain our strategy and how to increase chances of success, please see our speaker request form.
2018 Annual Grant Round (Portfolios 2 & 3 only) will open soon
Expressions of interest for the 2018 annual grant round will open on Monday, 29th January 2018 and close at 6pm AEST on Thursday, 29th March 2018.
The general call for EOI in 2018 is only open for Portfolio 2 and Portfolio 3 applications. The common focus of portfolio 2 and 3 grants is enabling researchers to access research capability and capacity beyond their labs and institution to advance their biomedical discoveries and innovations.
To find out about future funding opportunities, please subscribe to our newsletter here.
Submitting EOI, Application and Acquittal Forms
All documents uploaded should include the surname of the chief investigator in the file name.
Please complete all fields, upload your form and don’t forget to press submit. Please note that close to deadlines the volume of researchers submitting their EOIs can lead to slower submission processing.
Applications and EOI submitted without using our online submission process may not be considered for support.
Please note, the EOI form will require use of the latest version of Adobe Reader.
Go to the Online submission page
Review Process and Timeline
Our review process and timeline can be found below for our annual grant round. Please note that special purpose grant rounds may have a different process and timeline.
- EOIs are initially reviewed by members of our RAC;
- An initial shortlist is made. Full applications are requested from those shortlisted and all EOI applicants are notified in late May to early June;
- Full applications for shortlisted individuals are due by 26 July 2018, with two referee reports due by 16 August 2018;
- Full applications are reviewed by our RAC and recommendations are put forward to our Board;
- Our Board makes funding decisions at the November meeting, with announcements to be made in late November.
From time to time the Foundation may be have special purpose grant rounds. To be kept informed about these, we suggests subscribing to our newsletter.